Sunday, July 4, 2010

Yankee Doodle Sweethearts


Happy Independence Day from Washington!  My awesome mom-in-law and I celebrated by sewing the most adorable dresses for Eliza and my neices Laila and Liberty.  (Yes, her name is Liberty Bell...)  I was very excited to get a sewing lesson from Dan's mom, who is a master seamstress.  We made this from an actual pattern, which required confronting such frightening concepts as interfacing, tucks, buttonholes, and sewing on a curve!  I felt very grown up.  :)  I made Eliza's nearly all by myself (with my MIL's guidance and answers to my approximately 10,000 questions), and then she turned out the other two in about a third of the time it had taken me to do one.  Wow.  Can I be like that when I grow up?  Though I may be very slow, I was very proud of myself -- this is the first project I've done where I didn't have to put a "don't look too closely!" disclaimer on it.  This little dress looks great from any distance!

We got our little girlies together for pictures, but it was the end of a very long day and they were all pretty cranky.  Still awfully cute, though!  This is the best one -- in all the rest at least one of them is bawling her eyes out.

4 comments:

carrieap said...

Beautiful Tomi Ann! I'm so proud of you!

Tonya said...

Great job, Tomi Ann! Eliza looks so cute and very festive! Thanks for sharing!

jandokan said...

Adorable picture...
and super sewings :D

Hugs Anja

Ramona said...

So beautiful! I'm glad you're having such a great time, but I miss you! Your house is just too quiet! And I really miss little Eliza in nursery!!!