Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A little bit country...

A new year and a new project for ScrapbookPal.com!  I was really excited when they sent me the Country Life cartridge to work with this month, because the whole cartridge totally makes me think of my mom.  She is a country girl at heart, but she's also very cool and not old-lady-ish, which I think is a good description of the artwork on this cartridge.  Hmmm... that may not make sense to anyone but me, but just go with me here...

At any rate, my first priority project with this cartridge was a birthday card for my mom.  She recently took up knitting and has a real talent for it!  So this knitting needles and yarn image was just perfect for her card (I even came up with some very silly knitting humor for the inside of the card).  I used the banner feature to add a festive "MOM" banner.  The font and banner features are the high points of this cartridge for me -- they'll be versatile for a lot of different projects.


ScrapbookPal also sent me Distress Stickles to use this month.  Now, when I first heard of Distress Stickles, I thought, 'What on earth is the point of distress glitter?  Aren't glitter and distressing pretty much complete opposites?'  Then I got some in my package for the month, so I googled "What is the point of distress stickles?"  And, surprisingly, came up with some pretty good answers!  I like how Tim Holtz describes them as meant to look like vintage glass -- very cool.  I also really liked this review.  I decided to use my Distress Stickles to make my knitting needles and the MOM in the banner look like some kind of vintage fancy glass.  It really added just the right amount of glitz and sparkle to this country card.  I think I'm officially converted -- good thing ScrapbookPal has all the colors at good prices! 

Materials:  PP -- Chatterbox (I know, so old.  This has been in my stash forever!); Die cuts -- Cricut Country Life and Mini-Monograms (scalloped and regular circles) cartridges; Distress Stickles -- Ranger Inks; Distress Inks -- Dark Brown chalk ink by Colorbox.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

I had never heard of Distressed Stickles...but if that's what made the knitting needles look aged, I am going to get me some! ;) Stickles, not knitting needles. :) Thanks for sharing, Tomi Ann! This card is very pretty...from the colors, to the "mom" banner, to the distressed look of it.

Tonya said...

I just visited that review,...good info. But I love the idea that I will be able to INK the STICKLES for a "tarnished" look. That sounds like fun! Thanks, Tomi!

Sandra said...

I wasn't sure if I'd every use anything on the Country Life cartridge but seeing this lovely card, it's now on my wish list.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Great card!!! I have some distress stickles, but haven't tried them yet. TFS! -Sam :-)